Summer is finally here! (I think.) Many of you know I LOVE the heat and humidity…so this week is just not cutting it for me with rain and temps in the 60’s and 70’s today. Hoping that the STEAMY warmup is right around the corner. Feeling EXCITED to have the FREEDOM to mix it up this summer with my boys. They are at the perfect ages to go on adventures, picnic in the park, hang at the pool, and have mom drive them around to a few activities here and there (LOL! Let’s include Grandma and our college help on the driver team too!)
My summer schedule is shaping up nicely and I do have room for TWO new clients, beginning in early July. Busy moms and professional women, if you have ever thought about hiring a health coach to guide you and your family on your journey to better health, feel free to email me at heather@betterhealthbyheather for additional information or call 414-305-5414.
A big chunk of my summer is going to be spent reworking my current website. I want to turn it into an inspiring and informative destination that will provide you with great health & wellness tips, recipes, and programs to improve your busy lives. This is a MAJOR undertaking and it will be so exiting to re-launch my website come fall.
As the summer months are upon us and the weather begins to warm (PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!), here are a few of my favorite SIMPLE steps for bettering your health:
- Stay well hydrated! This is so basic, yet so many of us don’t drink enough water. Get that pretty glass bottle and take it with you everywhere you go. Add lemon, lime, cayenne, peach, berries…whatever you need to bump it up to make it enjoyable and drinkable. Don’t leave home without it!
- Eat real food. There are an abundance of Farmer’s Markets all over the US. Find one near you at www.localharvest.org and purchase fresh produce from a local farmer.
- Move that body! Get outside, soak up a little vitamin D, and find something you enjoy doing that gets you 30 minutes of physical activity every day. Swim, bike, run, jump rope, rebound, box, head to boot camp, chase your children around the house a few times…find something that your body likes and do it.
I’m a very busy mom; however, I have made the commitment to myself and my family to make healthy happen. Life is so much more enjoyable when you feel great and your kids do too! Here’s a photo of WHY I am so committed to my personal health and my family 🙂
And lastly, here is one of my current FAVORITE summer recipes – quick to prepare and easy to take on the go!
SIMPLE SUMMER SALAD
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 lime, freshly juiced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, chopped
- sea salt, pepper to taste
- Optional – jalapeño, cayenne pepper
In medium bowl, mix the cherry tomatoes, onion, cilantro, corn and feta. In small bowl, mix fresh lime juice and olive oil. Add lime mixture to veggies and mix well. Gently fold in avocado chunks. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. If you like a bit more spice, add in one chopped jalapeño or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the lime juice mixture. Use organic veggies and cheese whenever possible.
Thanks for allowing me to share my passion for health and wellness with you! Busy moms and working women, don’t forget to take care of yourselves this summer!