Thanksgiving festivities are just over a week away in the United States. My family is looking forward to an adventure to see siblings and cousins in the Chicago area. While we are not in charge of the turkey this year, I’m betting there will be leftovers that come home with us. YAY!
This year I’m planning on making a turkey and veggie casserole – may even pop one in the freezer for a future dinner on a busy sports night this winter. I frequently make this casserole dish with chicken; however, it’s an easy and delicious substitution with the turkey.
And tune in to Fox 6 Real MKE next Monday, November 21st, to see me make this fabulous casserole on air, in person.
Get creative with your veggies – spinach, zucchini, chopped squash, or asparagus and Brussels sprouts work well too!
Hope you enjoy!
- 5 cups cooked turkey (you can use chicken too), shredded
- 1 jar (28 ounces) of your favorite marinara sauce (I love Muir Glen)
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese (I use organic cheeses when possible)
- ½ cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup sprouted bread crumbs (I use Angelic Bakehouse bread crisps and grind in my coffee grinder)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- fresh chopped basil and parsley
- oregano, sea salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste (approx ¼ teaspoon of each)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9.5 x 7.5 glass casserole dish with olive oil spray
- In a large bowl, mix turkey, marinara sauce and zucchini. Layer the mixture into the bottom of the glass dish.
- Layer spinach over meat mixture.
- Mix all the cheeses together. And then layer over the spinach.
- In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs, olive oil, fresh basil and parsley as well as oregano, sea salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the cheese layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until heated through. Cover with foil if the top is browning too quickly.
- For the freezer: Prepare as directions indicate in a freezer safe dish. Freeze before baking. When you’re ready to use, thaw overnight in the fridge.